/ Categories: Walking Tour

22 Union Street, North

22 Union Street, North
• Joel Reed’s home was on this site from circa 1833 until demolition in 1931
• Mr. Reed owned several nearby gold mines
• The new Art Deco Cabarrus Theater opened here in 1939
• In the 1970s Concord National Bank converted the theater into an operations center
• The building has been sold and now awaits restoration or renovation

The ten room two story frame home of Joel Reed once occupied this site. The house known as ‘The Seven Gables’ was built circa 1833 and demolished in 1931. Joel Reed’s son, Dr. John Reed (1868-1931), used an adjacent small brick structure to the right as his medical office. Joel Reed owned several gold mines but was no kin to the Reeds who first discovered Cabarrus gold in 1799. One of Joel Reed’s gold mines was on Brumley Street and the western shaft ran towards Church Street. The newly constructed Art Deco Cabarrus Theater opened on this site on June 19, 1939. The theater had small office/retail space on either side of the ticket booth theater entrance. Willeford’s Jewelry, a gift shop and several real estate agents are among the tenants who operated out of those two spaces. In the 1970s Concord National Bank converted the theater into an operations center. When Concord National Bank merged with Citizens National Bank in 1984 to form First Charter Bank this building became the First Charter operations center. The building has been sold and awaits restoration or renovation.

Previous Article 21 Union Street, South
Next Article 23 Union Street, North
Print
423
Present Day Business Name 1under construction

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x

Purchase
Downtown Dollars!


FREE Mobile App


FREE Newsletters

Sign-Up Now