Veteran's Corner

0 10
• William A. (Sandy) Smith completed his residence here in 1869
• The Concord Library moved here in mid to late 1930s after the Smith house was remodeled as a YMCA
• A Community Center was created from the old Sandy Smith complex in 1940 with a Library, museum, and pool
• The side street here was originally named Holly Lane in honor of the giant holly tree still standing
• The 1907 German field gun you see here has guarded this property for many decades
• During WWII, the Memorial Hall Museum served as a USO Canteen for our soldiers
• The Fire Station at the rear was part of Sandy Smith’s property and he is said to still maintain a presence there

Vacant Lot between 2 Union Street, South and 8 Union Street, South

0 8
• The adjacent building just to the right was constructed in 1842 as Concord’s third jail
• The Whipping Post, Stocks, and Pillory were on this lot and open to public view and ridicule
• In 1878 the Hoover, Lore & Company General Merchandise opened here and operated until 1893
• Ould Merchandising in 1895, Ervin’s Fancy Groceries, Belk’s, Craven Furniture, Efird’s Department Store, and the Dianna Shop
• The 100 year old building burned to the ground in 1978 and the site has remained vacant

111 Union Street

0 9
• This is the Southeast Square of the original Town of Concord as laid out in 1796
• General Paul Barringer operated his business on this corner
• Bell and Harris Funeral Home here before circa 1940
• The Concord Tribune here after circa 1940
• Concord’s famous Red Pig BBQ Restaurant stood next to this site

104 Union Street

0 9
• St. James Lutheran was organized in 1843
• This church building was erected in 1927
• It replaced St. James’s 1881 church building also on this site
• Concord’s 1912 Post Office stood in the church’s front parking lot
• The Foard Boarding House was here prior to the Post Office
RSS
12345678910Last